Fallback mode further hosed?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 15:58:11 UTC 2011

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 16:34:58 +0200, CW wrote:

> Am Freitag, den 22.04.2011, 13:05 -0500 schrieb Jason D. Clinton:
> > On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 12:52, Jonathan Corbet
> > wrote:
> >         One wonders...what is rawhide for if we're not supposed to run
> >         it?
> >
> > I'm not a Fedora packager but I do read these mailing lists
> > consistently and it's pretty clear from discussion in the past few
> > weeks that the situation is--essentially--the following:
> >
> > In an ideal world, rawhide would be updated at the same time that F15
> > is. However, because some packagers and, indeed, entire teams are
> > focused exclusively on the F15 branch, large sections of rawhide are
> > months behind the packaged versions in F15 branch.
>
> How would that happen if F15 builds are inherited in rawhide?
>
> $ koji list-tag-inheritance dist-rawhide
> dist-rawhide (17)
>   └─dist-f16 (169)
>      └─dist-f15-updates (153)
>         └─dist-f15 (152)
>            └─dist-f14-updates (119)
>               └─dist-f14 (117)
> [...]

The inheritance chain is interruptable. It is interrupted as soon a
package has been built explicitly for the parent dist. For example,
once somebody rebuilds packages for dist-f16 because of library
upgrades, dist-f16 no longer inherits those packages from dist-f15
+updates. Now guess what happens if subsequent builds for dist-f16
fail.