Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 24 19:11:40 UTC 2011

--- On Sun, 4/24/11, John Morris <jmorris at beau.org> wrote:

> From: John Morris <jmorris at beau.org>
> Subject: Re: Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...
> To: "For testing and quality assurance of Fedora releases" <test at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Date: Sunday, April 24, 2011, 11:16 AM
> On Sat, 2011-04-23 at 07:50 -0700,
> Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > GNOME 2.0 came out in 2002, so we had that interface
> for nine years.
> > It's not like no-one gave it a chance.
>
> Quite the contrary, people seem to like it and are confused
> when things
> that work are replaced with things that don't.

This is deja vu all over again with
sed -i 's|Gnome 3|KDE 4|'

People liked KDE 3.X too, but movement to 4.X was in the works and it happened :)

I have had the opportunity to learn new things and new ways of doing things with Gnome 3. I put it to the test with High School students.  Some like it and say that it is just different :)

Tomas M from Slax has written in his blog some interesting things about Gnome 3:

http://www.tomas-m.com/blog/18160-Gnome-3-better-than-KDE.html

He preferred KDE before now it is being challenged :)

I honestly think that each desktop has its place.   I use many of them on my machines

four use KDE, four use Gnome 3, two use XFCE two use LXDE.  This are for some of my machines at school.

While people are discussing the differences, it seems that we will have more complaints coming like the KDE 4 series on Fedora 9 and now (not too many people are complaining about KDE 4)*

Some things I have figured out on my own, like adding apps to the activities section, moving windows to maximize and to split them (ala windows 7 and KDE 4.X), starting programs automatically(thanks to several kind folks), how to shut down (press alt), this one seems strange, but I don't mind since I have most of my machines automatically shutdown at 4:25 end of school day via a cron job:)  .

The people that have more say are paying customers of RHEL and some of them might be here watching behind the scenes :)

Since the KDE disaster^{1} many people moved to Gnome :)
Now it seems that it could go the other way? or to XFCE?  Interesting things are going to happen.  Some might even embrace the new refreshing Gnome 3 desktop.

Regards,

Antonio

{1} Fedora 9 testing cycle