GNOME 3 != KDE 4 (was Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...)

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 21:09:56 UTC 2011

On 04/24/2011 02:11 PM, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> This is deja vu all over again with
> sed -i 's|Gnome 3|KDE 4|'

I keep seeing this comparison made, and I don't think that it's
accurate.  It's certainly true that the release of KDE 4.0 was terribly
mismanaged, and the buggy/incomplete state of the code caused huge pain
for KDE users.  But releasing a "product" which is buggy and incomplete
and telling users that they'll just have to wait to get their old
functionality back is not the same as deliberately removing
functionality and discoverability with no intention of ever restoring
it.

As incredibly (and unnecessarily) painful as the KDE 3.5-to-4.x
transition was, the current incarnation of KDE is actually very usable.
I can think of only one KDE 3.5 feature that I used that isn't present
in KDE 4.6 -- different wallpapers per virtual desktop -- and I think it
may actually be possible to achieve that by using activities.

By comparison, if one believes the statements that have been made by
GNOME developers in various blogs, mailing lists, etc., most of the
features that people miss from GNOME 2.x are never coming back.  This is
very different.

This is drifting well off-topic for this list, but the whole GNOME 3 ==
KDE 4 meme has been bugging me for a while.  I feel so much better now.

:-)