GNOME 3 != KDE 4 (was Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...)

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 25 02:52:57 UTC 2011

--- On Sun, 4/24/11, Ian Pilcher <arequipeno at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Ian Pilcher <arequipeno at gmail.com>
> Subject: GNOME 3 != KDE 4 (was Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...)
> To: test at lists.fedoraproject.org
> Date: Sunday, April 24, 2011, 2:09 PM
> On 04/24/2011 02:11 PM, Antonio
> Olivares wrote:
> > This is deja vu all over again with
> > sed -i 's|Gnome 3|KDE 4|'
>
> I keep seeing this comparison made, and I don't think that
> it's
> accurate.  It's certainly true that the release of KDE
> 4.0 was terribly
> mismanaged, and the buggy/incomplete state of the code
> caused huge pain
> for KDE users.  But releasing a "product" which is
> buggy and incomplete
> and telling users that they'll just have to wait to get
> their old
> functionality back is not the same as deliberately
> removing
> functionality and discoverability with no intention of ever
> restoring
> it.
>
> As incredibly (and unnecessarily) painful as the KDE
> 3.5-to-4.x
> transition was, the current incarnation of KDE is actually
> very usable.
> I can think of only one KDE 3.5 feature that I used that
> isn't present
> in KDE 4.6 -- different wallpapers per virtual desktop --
> and I think it
> may actually be possible to achieve that by using
> activities.
>
> By comparison, if one believes the statements that have
> been made by
> GNOME developers in various blogs, mailing lists, etc.,
> most of the
> features that people miss from GNOME 2.x are never coming
> back.  This is
> very different.
>
> This is drifting well off-topic for this list, but the
> whole GNOME 3 ==
> KDE 4 meme has been bugging me for a while.  I feel so
> much better now.
>
> :-)
>
> --

You don't think it is accurate but many folks would agree with me,

some folks wanted kde 3.5.X back, and Fedora would not go back and put in Kde 3.5.x --->  i don't see Fedora putting Gnome 2.3X back just because people want it or miss some features

Fedora moved forward and pushed KDE 4.X down the throats, and after a while several releases/updates it has become a workable desktop, but many bugs and * were ironed out.  Gnome 3.0 might have its quirks, but if it has bugs, they will be ironed out too!  The new features new things are not going to go back.

This is like the Windows 98 vs Windows 95 thing, like Bush was an upgrade over Reagan :)  Gnome 3 could be the "Change" that Mr Obama promised the American people, but in his case not really that great :(

I agree with some things that you mention that the things that worked or people were used to they will not be there on Gnome 3, but on KDE some things were pushed beta and not really in good working condition.

But Fedora developers did not give way to the complaints, they moved forward with the code and released Fedora 9 with KDE 4.X while Debian, Ubuntu and others released long term KDE 3.5.X desktops because there were many complaints about it.  After a while and great effort by the community KDE 4.X became usable and other distributions have included great KDE, but thanks to Fedora/other Linux Distros that strung together and did not move back to KDE 3.5.X.  The same should apply with GNOME 3.0 :)  It is different, there are somethings that are different, but in my opinion it is a fresh welcome :)

We need to move forward and test the new technologies.  Time will tell if the developers of Gnome made the right decisions or not.  There new things out there gadgets that will give back some things that the users want back.  But things move forward and Gnome 3.X is no exception.

I was one that was not very happy with many of the changes that KDE 4.X brought I missed KPF and Kghostview from 3.5 series and okular replaced kdvi, kghostview and kpdf.  The digital clock[LCD] never came back :(, but things moved forward and have not locked back.

You will see complaints about Gnome 3 when Fedora 15 is released, mark my words.  People will complain left and right, where is this, where is that.  The same thing happened when KDE 4.X was released the long threads about I miss this, I miss that.

This is what I mean by it is deja vu all over again :)

Regards,

Antonio

P.S.
Time will tell, but for me Gnome 3 is a welcome change :)
It is different^^ and some students tell me which windows is that?, I tell them that it is the new Windows 8 :) jokingly of course.