Well, I have tried systemd now ...

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 10:24:23 UTC 2011

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 10:05:16 +0000 (UTC)
JB wrote:

> Do not be shy, my fellow Fedora Linux users - share with us your impressions.
> As I said, systemd is the new kid on the block, soon to be gold.

Like everything else in linux, systemd was created to obfuscate
system startup when it became apparent that too many people
could understand and use the old sysv startup without needing
paid help from linux consultants. The last thing they'd ever
want to do is provide adequate documentation :-).

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/wisdom/braindump/darwin.html

In its favor though, it really does seem to provide human
perceptible faster startup, which makes it well worth the
agony of the learning curve.

I just wish someone had taken the time to fully integrate
the old chkconfig tool seamlessly with systemd so you didn't
have to change the way you do everything and learn so much
new junk. (Yes, it is partially integrated, but things
like chkconfig --list won't tell you about services controlled
entirely by systemd, etc).