question on ifcfg-em1 (consitent network device naming related)

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Tue Apr 26 14:05:43 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 16:35 +0530, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So it's been a few days now with F15 beta, with the sleek Gnome3 installed.(Machine - DELL
> Precision T5400). Apart from a few glitches, this looks good.
>
> Now, I'm aware of the 'Consistent-Network-Device-Naming' feature.
>
> Question:
> 	- In the stock F15 install, I don't see an 'ifcfg-em1' file in network-scripts directory.
> Is that intentional?

What do you see there?  Using NetworkManager (nm-connection-editor), did
you configure networking to start/connect automatically?

> 		+ I use plenty of Virtualization with bridging. So do I have to manually create
> ifcfg-em1 (without HWADDR entry -- I read this in the release-note that all HWADDR entries
> shall be removed from ifcfg-*) ?

To make use of bridged networking for virtualization, it is still
expected that you create the ifcfg-* files by hand.  I believe HWADDR
only comes into play for upgraded systems, or if you want to use an
unusual device name.  If an upgraded system already has HWADDR present
(and possible also matching udev rules), the old device name will be
used.  Otherwise, you get the new naming scheme.

> Here is some info which confirms that my DELL machine is impacted.
> [root at sunrise export]# ./Biosdevname-support-check.sh
> Checking hardware requirements                             [  OK  ]
> Checking for SMBIOS type 41 support                        [FAILED]
> Checking for SMBIOS type 9 support                         [  OK  ]
> Checking for PCI Interrupt Routing support                 [  OK  ]
> [root at sunrise export]#
> [root at sunrise ~]# ls /sys/class/net
> em1  lo  virbr0
> [root at sunrise ~]#
>
> Note: I manually created an ifcfg-em1 andifcfg-br0(for bridging) with usual parameters
> (*except* HWADDR) ; stopped NM ; start good old 'network' and things work just fine with
> bridging.

Thanks,
James