Well, I have tried systemd now ...

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Apr 26 15:49:52 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 10:05 +0000, JB wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After being educated on merits and superiority of geek arts in SELinux, Gnome 3,
> etc, perhaps it is time to change the pace, a little ...
>
> I suddenly realized that it is already past F15 Beta, soon to be gold, and there
> is that conspicuous silence about ... systemd.

> For starters, let's consider my own adventures.
> After installing my F15 Beta for the first time, I noticed that I need sendmail
> service running for my system status e-mails.
> Being a bold eagle, somewhat experienced in Computer Science, I assumed
> I should be able to start figuring it out without studying tons of docs.
> So, knowing that my new universe starts with systemd, I followed my instincts:
>
> $ systemd --help
> $ systemd --test

Your instincts need tweaking. When you absolutely know a given 'thing'
is made up of a single command, this is a good way to go. systemd is not
such a case. You don't use the systemd executable to manage systemd, in
most cases, so looking at the help for the systemd executable isn't
going to tell you much.

A better entry point in this case is:

What would be a much better idea would be to just start with the project
site:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd

which links you to