Well, I have tried systemd now ...

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 15:59:37 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 10:05 +0000, JB wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After being educated on merits and superiority of geek arts in SELinux,
> Gnome 3,
> > etc, perhaps it is time to change the pace, a little ...
> >
> > I suddenly realized that it is already past F15 Beta, soon to be gold,
> and there
> > is that conspicuous silence about ... systemd.
>
> > For starters, let's consider my own adventures.
> > After installing my F15 Beta for the first time, I noticed that I need
> sendmail
> > service running for my system status e-mails.
> > Being a bold eagle, somewhat experienced in Computer Science, I assumed
> > I should be able to start figuring it out without studying tons of docs.
> > So, knowing that my new universe starts with systemd, I followed my
> instincts:
> >
> > $ systemd --help
> > $ systemd --test
>
> Your instincts need tweaking. When you absolutely know a given 'thing'
> is made up of a single command, this is a good way to go. systemd is not
> such a case. You don't use the systemd executable to manage systemd, in
> most cases, so looking at the help for the systemd executable isn't
> going to tell you much.
>
> A better entry point in this case is:
>

> What would be a much better idea would be to just start with the project
> site:
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd

I'll admit that I haven't tried F15 yet, but I will have to soon, (so that
my app works under systemd
(as well as the old way) including any new selinux issues I may get.)

But I would be starting my search for help information with 'man systemd'
and failing that...
'apropos systemd' and would hope to find all of the basic information there.
I wonder what I will find  :-)

Fulko