question on ifcfg-em1 (consitent network device naming related)

Kashyap Chamarthy kashyapc at fedoraproject.org
Tue Apr 26 17:53:15 UTC 2011

On 04/26/2011 07:35 PM, James Laska wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 16:35 +0530, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> So it's been a few days now with F15 beta, with the sleek Gnome3 installed.(Machine - DELL
>> Precision T5400). Apart from a few glitches, this looks good.
>>
>> Now, I'm aware of the 'Consistent-Network-Device-Naming' feature.
>>
>> Question:
>> 	- In the stock F15 install, I don't see an 'ifcfg-em1' file in network-scripts directory.
>> Is that intentional?
>
> What do you see there?

I just see the loopback stuff - 'ifcfg-lo' . No other ifcfg-*

  Using NetworkManager (nm-connection-editor), did
> you configure networking to start/connect automatically?

I didn't configure anything explicitly. I just used the stock F15 beta. So that means, yes
NM was in play.

>> 		+ I use plenty of Virtualization with bridging. So do I have to manually create
>> ifcfg-em1 (without HWADDR entry -- I read this in the release-note that all HWADDR entries
>> shall be removed from ifcfg-*) ?
>
> To make use of bridged networking for virtualization, it is still
> expected that you create the ifcfg-* files by hand.

yep, that's what I do/did (like I noted at the end in the previous mail)
   I believe HWADDR
> only comes into play for upgraded systems, or if you want to use an
> unusual device name.  If an upgraded system already has HWADDR present
> (and possible also matching udev rules), the old device name will be
> used.  Otherwise, you get the new naming scheme.

yes, read about this.

Thanks James.

/kashyap