Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...

Kevin DeKorte kdekorte at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 17:54:38 UTC 2011

On 04/26/2011 09:28 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:

> Obsessively follow? All you had to do was install Fedora 12, 13 or 14
> and hit the 'GNOME Shell' button in desktop-effects.

The gnome-shell in F14 is pretty different than the one in F15 and on my
machine when it was running F14, gnome-shell and in fact any clutter
based app on a ATI based machine does not run unless you set
CLUTTER_VBLANK=none. Which was something that was pretty difficult to find.

I opened bugs on gnome-shell/gthumb/clutter not working on F14 and
basically the response was WONT_FIX

Since then I have upgraded to F15 and for the most part I like
gnome-shell and will continue using it. My main concern with it actually
is the activities application launcher, which did change significantly
in F15. For a phone the interface looks like it would work great, but on
a large screen it feels like the amount of left-to-right mouse movements
to launch an app is significant. Gnome-shell also seems to have a
dependency on a keyboard to manage everything efficiently and there is a
lot of times I just use the mouse to check my email, reload a website
and walk away.

I have worked around my issues, by using AWN, but it would be nice if I
didn't have to do that.

- --
Get my public GnuPG key from
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)