Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 22:13:24 UTC 2011

On 04/27/2011 02:30 AM, JB wrote:
> I forgot to mention that there is an opinion or stated goal of GNOME 3 that
> its target should be "smart devices" (the food chain below netbooks), that's
> why the new GUI of its Shell.
>
> I do not think you can cover with one infrastructure and GUI a spectrum  of
> so different hardware, software, and DE requirements.
>
> Hope this makes it clearer.

You seem to have misunderstood something.  It is not the stated goal of
GNOME 3 to target "smart devices" with the GNOME Shell UI and that's the
not the rationale behind the design

Here are the design documents

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design

Here is a quote from the release manager

http://geekybodhi.net/habari/interview-with-vincent-untz-at-gnome-asia-summit-2011

"KDE has a different user interface for the netbook and a normal
desktop. We don't think it's necessary. But if you go to other sizes
such as tablets or mobile phones obviously that's not the current target
of Gnome. We are not working actively on porting Gnome to those devices"

Rahul