Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Apr 26 22:27:40 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 21:00 +0000, JB wrote:

> I forgot to mention that there is an opinion or stated goal of GNOME 3 that
> its target should be "smart devices" (the food chain below netbooks), that's
> why the new GUI of its Shell.

This is overstated. It was designed with interfaces other than 'a PC
with a monitor and a keyboard' kept in mind, which is only sensible when
such interfaces are rapidly gaining steam, but some people seem to
believe the Shell was designed exclusively for such devices, which is
transparently not the case.

The relevant statement on the GNOME site:

"Effectively works on contemporary hardware: the Shell will provide an
excellent experience on touch-based devices and will scale down to small
screen sizes. It has also been designed with wide-screen in mind"

> I stand by that.
> My opinion is that geeks are self-made "holy cows", wanting "world
>  domination", etc.

Looking at your posts in this context it's hard not to notice the irony,
when you make arbitrary and presumptuous demands...