Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 15:38:27 UTC 2011

On 04/27/2011 08:59 PM, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> On 04/27/2011 10:15 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Sure but compared to all the rants about KDE 4.0 during its launch,
>> there isn't much talk about the fork. I have a alert set on media
>> reports on it and there has barely been any.  Probably it has as much
>> users as Fluxbox.  Reasonably successful but isn't competing with KDE
>> 4.x in any way.
> I imagine that Trinity would have gotten a ton of traction if it had
> been available (or more widely known, if it was available) during the
> "early days" of KDE 4.

See http://exde.org for a similarly failed launch of a GNOME 2.x fork.
By the time anybody gets something like that off the ground and into the
mainstream distro repos,  I expect most GNOME users would already be
satisfied by the state of GNOME 3.x and others would be using a
alternative or a distribution with a long updates cycle ( RHEL 5.x/6.x
or rebuilds for instance).  In the end,  I just don't see much space for
a fork of GNOME 2.x.   Hey, if someone wants to prove me wrong,  go ahead.

Rahul