Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Wed Apr 27 17:13:26 UTC 2011

On 04/27/2011 06:01 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>>> Adam, please.
>>>
>>> All of this thread is about "Gnome 3 not being a replacement for what
>>> used to be Gnome 2",
>> Is any other desktop more of a GNOME 2 replacement than GNOME 3? i.e.,
>> would changing to another default desktop result in more continuity? I
>> would say not.
> Agreed. Things have derailed. Now the cart is stuck in the mud
>
> In other words Gnome and Fedora (Both projects dominated by a single
> enterprise) haved decided to switch their target audience.

I'll avoid expressing my opinion of this opinion and merely ask: if you are so
passionate about the decisions the upstream projects have made why are you not
more involved in the development and decision-making that go into them?

This isn't MS or Apple - if you have an opinion express it constructively by
getting involved and doing something positive.

Having watched numerous people start out on a hacking career by getting involved
in Gnome and then quickly become very well respected developers (I'd name names
but I don't want to make anyone blush ;) I am very well assured at this point
that the project turns on merit and not connections, conspiracy or corporate
backing.

If you really believe the direction taken is wrong check out your favourite
olde-worlde Gnome 2 branch and get going with a fork. I'm sure if it's any good
you'll soon have plenty of other users hankering for the past wanting to join
you and work on making yesterday's desktop the choice of the future.

Regards,
Bryn.