auto login stopped working on live usb

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 22:18:13 UTC 2011

I was testing some stuff today on a live USB stick of
fedora 15 beta x86_64 (with a persistent overlay),
and I installed updated to make sure I had the latest
stuff and wasn't seeing bugs from old versions.

After I installed updates, GDM no longer did the
auto login as "Live User". Instead I just got a
spinning busy cursor forever.

Rebooting in runlevel 3 and running startx (as root,
Gasp! Horrors!) worked fine, so X and gnome-shell
can come up, but something seems to have confused
the normal auto login.

Anyone know how to fix this, or should I just report
it as a bugzilla?