where do I put a command to setup keyboard shortcuts for Gnome 3

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 28 02:29:16 UTC 2011

Dear folks,

I am running Gnome 3 and want to setup a special keyboard mapping to be able to get special keys/shortcuts see http://sob.apotheon.org/?p=814 for special character discussion.

ñ For students/parents with last names Peña, or Treviño as examples, also for accents like José

The command

setxkbmap -option compose:ralt

does the job and instead of placing it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local or /etc/rc.local or other older solution.  If I need to put in ~/.bashrc, ~/.xinitrc will it start and allow me to input the special characters?

I have figured it out for (FreeBSD and Slackware[XFCE desktop]) using startx and automatic login using tricks.  Have not figured it out for Fedora with gnome-shell or Gnome 3 :(

Where will it work? (~/.xinitrc), (~/.bashrc), (~/.config/autostart),  using regular startup(level 5 with systemd)?

Thanks to the other suggestions I got gkrellm to run at startup using gkrellm.desktop in ~/.config/autostart/, do I need something similar.  I want to have this available so my students can compose the special characters and I don't have to type the command everytime :(

This way they can type their correspondance to their spanish professors at the community college.  They want to use alt+164, but I got advice to use the compose key + ~ => ñ

Thanks in Advance,

Antonio