Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Thu Apr 28 10:43:03 UTC 2011

On 04/27/2011 09:43 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Debian turned aways from libc, SUSE has always followed KDE, ... Many
> Fedora packagers do so on the package level, when upstreams die or "go
> nuts".

Ein minute bitte.. that's a touch revisionist, isn't it?

Yes, Debian was not the first distribution to ship glibc (that was RHL) and they
stuck with Linux libc but only for a while but that's hardly news; as a
distribution Debian prides itself on stability and avoiding disruption for its
users and those are fine goals but lets not forget that it was Red Hat Linux
(and the loyal users - I was one of them) that bore much of the pain of that
major transition.

In the end all of the other major distributions* followed along in Red Hat's
wake after the heavy lifting had already been done and the major teething
troubles were out of the way. This is progress, surely?

Regards,
Bryn.

* distros that have a reason for using things like dietlibc/uClibc don't really
count as they have rather specific needs and audiences.