Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Thu Apr 28 17:21:47 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-27 at 21:48 +0100, mike cloaked wrote:

> I am sure that  list could be compiled

I want the following "features":

1). The ability to control what is on the panels. I want a
clock/calendar applet that I can place in the top-right corner of the
screen. I want a session switcher in the top-right. I want a
notification area for running applications, in the top-right. I also
want iconic launchers for popular applications, such as Firefox, and
Evolution. I require the ability to add multiple weather applets.
2). The ability to have two or more panels. I require a second panel at
the bottom of the screen, containing a task switcher and a workspace
manager. I don't give a damn about netbook displays on my desktop, and
I've plenty of screen real estate that this is a non-issue.
3). I want sorted menus with an ability to organize applications. I want
dedicated menus for system management features.
4). I require a file manager that works, with desktop icons. I want a
choice about automounting with no assumptions that I will always be
always running a desktop session to automount, etc.

In short, I want GNOME 2.x back. It was absolutely perfect for my needs
and I had very few non-trivial bug related complaints :) XFCE can be
made to do almost all of this, fortunately, and it is a much cleaner and
more consistent "upgrade" path in terms of desktop experience.

Jon.