Well, I have tried systemd now ...

Karel Volný kvolny at redhat.com
Thu Apr 28 16:43:15 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 26 of April 2011 22:02:13 Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Essentially, you have to ensure that everything called during
> the boot cycle up until the point that /usr is mounted,
> including any and all programs called from udev rules, have
> all the libraries, configuration, and data they need to write
> to, available on the root partition. (*)
>
> It's something that certainly can be made to work where
> problems are found, with enough effort - that would be
> auditing that would have to be done on each release
> (potentially each update!). So, then it's a cost-benefit
> ratio, and weigh that at against the usage case of separate
> /usr

recently, I've been doing something similar for RHEL, well, some
basic check for library dependencies, and it took less than two
half-afternoons including reporting the problems found

I'm pretty sure creating complete test wouldn't be much more work

and it can be run automatically, which is nearly zero cost as the
infrastructure for automatic testing of releases is already up &
running - of course just until a problem is found which needs
human attention ... but catching that early will be always much
cheaper then breaking users' systems

so, the costs seem low to me, and the benefits? -

> (which is.... ?)

- I'd be interested too ... last time I've met this was some form
of not-so-thin client setup, where the machines weren't able to
boot completely from network for some reason, so that they had
basic system installed on them and then mounted the rest from the
network

HOWEVER ... I think(!) the requirement to be able to use separate
/usr can be derived from FHS - so, Fedora should finally
explicitly state that it does not and does not want to support
FHS

K.

--
Karel Volný