lorax "treebuilder" branch for F16?

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Fri Aug 5 16:02:17 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 17:14 -0400, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > I'd really like to see if we can get this switched over for F16 Beta;
> > what do you all think?
>
> I am all for it.

So, who wants to try out some experimental installer images?

I'm planning to build some F16Alpha images (and maybe respin F15 images)
using the treebuilder branch of lorax. This branch builds installer
images that are split into 2 parts (initrd.img and install.img), like
F14 and earlier. It also uses dracut for the initrd.img, so we no longer
have to maintain the old custom 'loader' initrd.img (which was the real
goal of the change in F15).

Memory requirements should be greatly reduced from the standard F15
images (and somewhat lower than F14) - but we'll need to make new
anaconda builds to prove that, since the memory check prevents us from
running on systems with <768MB RAM. There's a lot of other changes too,
which is why I want some help with testing.

So:
1) If I can get images built locally, how should I build them for test
consumption? (build in chroot/mock? what's the standard kickstart /
pungi invocation? is there a standard build machine for test images?)
2) If I can get them build, where do I put the images where people can
find them?

-w