gnome-shell is gone...

Tom London selinux at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 16:11:38 UTC 2011

On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 6:01 AM, Adam Pribyl <pribyl at lowlevel.cz> wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Aug 2011, Rob Healey wrote:
>
>> Greetings:
>>
>> At the beginning of this week, I loaded my computer using a F15.x86_64
>> livecd.  I updated to current f15 (fedora, and updates).
>>
>> Then I updated to F16 (fedora, updates, and updates-testing)...
>>
>> Then I updated to current rawhide/ fc17...
>>
>> Somewhere in this process, I lost gnome-shell...
>
> What means "lost". The package is gone? The gnome-shell is not starting?
> The login screen is not working?
>

>> Could anyone possibly tell me how to get it back???  If there are any log
>> files that I may share with you to help debug this situation, please let me
>> know?
>
> What about ~/.xsession-errors?
>
>> --
>> Sincerely yours,
>> Rob G. Healey
>>

> Adam Pribyl
> --

The following package versions "work for me":

gdm-plugin-fingerprint-3.1.2-4.fc16.x86_64
gdm-3.1.2-4.fc16.x86_64
systemd-32-1.fc17.x86_64
gnome-shell-3.1.4-1.fc16.x86_64
clutter-1.7.6-1.fc16.x86_64
mutter-3.1.4-1.fc16.x86_64

[I may have left one or more other ones out....]

What versions are you running?  Per Adam above, see anything in
~/.xsession-errors?  See any segfaults ('grep segfault
/var/log/messages')? etc.

tom
--
Tom London