F16 Alpha ATI Radeon issues?

Jonathan Corbet corbet-ft at lwn.net
Wed Aug 10 13:20:22 UTC 2011

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 13:00:34 +0200
Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not always, but at random times. Also:
>  - perceived lag (compared with F15)
>  - areas of the screen not getting refreshed in time, staying blank
>    until I touch the window or move a GTK slider,
>    e.g. individual mailbox subject lines in Claws Mail summary view

Just FYI, I've been seeing some of this in rawhide on my Radeon for a
while.  Claws does seem to be especially prone to the partial update
thing, but emacs shows it too.  I've not had the time to even begin to
track it down.

I see the partial updates with the 3.0 kernel.  When I run

	kernel-3.1.0-0.rc0.git21.1.fc17.x86_64

instead, what I see, in addition, is horrific performance.  GNOME shell
achieves a new level of pain there, but even fallback mode hurts.  I've
not had any time to try to figure out what's going on there either.

jon