grub instead of grub2 in F16?

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Wed Aug 10 18:22:48 UTC 2011

On 08/10/2011 11:25 AM, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 4:01 PM, James Laska<jlaska at redhat.com>  wrote:
>> The best
>> option at this time might be to install Fedora 15, while adding the
>> Fedora 16 branched repos during install.
>
> I've just done this and finished the installation on a system with a
> Fedora 13 installed.
>
> I choose to keep /home and format /boot, /, and swap partitions.
>
> Installation completed but at reboot grub2 does not load (all I get is
> a blinking cursor), so I'd like to know if that ought to work, and if
> there's an more or less easy way to fix it.

My favorite method is:

Create an entry in a working old grub.conf (if you have one) containing
the proper kernel and initrd entries for the F16 installation.  Boot
into F16 and as root:  grub2-install --force /dev/<the f16 boot
partion>.  In the old working grub create a new entry for f16:

title Fedora 16 via chainloader
   root (hdn,m)
   chainloader +1

where n and m are the number is old grub format for the f16 boot
drive/partition.

Reboot and select above. You should now be able to boot F16 properly.

If you don't have a working bootable system with another flavor of
fedora or another distro on the system, then you are going to have to
use a rescue CD with old grub and restore the MBR that way.

--
Regards,
OldFart