F16 RC3 Alpha testing -> USB device is not listed in /media

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Aug 11 16:07:33 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-08-11 at 14:33 +0530, Srinivasa wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm observing this behavior in F16 RC3. When USB Pen drive is connected
> it is auto mounted and displayed in the graphical menu "Places".
>
> In terminal same is not listed under "/media". It will be listed in the
> terminal after accessing this device from GUI.
>
> Any specific reason for this??

Yes - it's not actually automounted until you access it. Notice that if
you umount a USB device from the console, it will still be displayed in
Nautilus. GNOME displays devices that are 'connected', not just ones
that are mounted, and when you hit the 'eject' button in the GUI it
doesn't just unmount them, it actually entirely disconnects them so far
as the kernel is concerned; if you plug in a USB device that's,
say, /dev/sdb , then hit the Eject button in Nautilus, you'll notice
that /dev/sdb doesn't exist any more. (This is a minor pain if you're,
say, writing a live image to a USB stick; you have to 'umount' it from a
console, not eject it from the GUI).