Can't see Verne through the GUI

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com
Mon Aug 15 22:10:27 UTC 2011

On 08/15/2011 07:15 AM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On 8/14/11 2:17 PM, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
>
>> Installed with the default video driver on a Geforce 460SE.
>> Still won't run Genome 3.  Wether or not one agrees with
>> Linus's characterization of Gnome 3, the fallback mode is
>> unarguably brain damaged.
>
> You keep saying things like this without ever characterising the
> failure, even after asked for more details.  This makes it very hard
> to continue to care about anything you report.
>
> Likewise, we're not _ever_ going to offer to download proprietary
> drivers for you, no matter how many times you say it.
>
> - ajax

When I try to start a Gnome session,  Gnome proclaims that Gnome 3
failed to run.
We all know this is because Gnome 3 requires 3D acceleration.  The
defult driver
for Nvidia cards does not support this.  As far as I know, the situation
is the same for ATI.

I have a machine with integrated Intel graphics that most likely would
support Gnome 3
with its default driver.  The last time I tried 3D on that machine it
was too slow to be useful.

It is my understanding that the majority of desktop machines run Nvidia
or ATI graphics cards.
It is a fact of life that Gnome 3 in its present incarnation will not
function on these machines;
it will fall back to a brain damaged afterthought GUI.

Ubuntu gets around this problem by making it easy to use Nvidia's
competent driver.
(I presume the same applies to ATI.)

Verne gets around this problem by ... See Figure 1.

So far Fedora is the only Linux distro that makes it reasonably easy for
me to compile and/or run
some of the software I use, including Gnuradio (current versions),
Linrad, WSPR, ffmpeg, youtube-dl,
et al.    I would hope the power and usability of Linux would be
increasing monotonically from one
version to the next.  Fedora 15 breaks that, with a GUI that doesn't
work with default drivers or VNC
and system management functions (services) that no longer manage the system.

--
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R     caf at omen.com   www.omen.com