Kickstart and grub2

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 07:15:13 UTC 2011

2011/8/17 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com>:
> On 08/16/2011 11:25 PM, Tom H wrote:
>>
>> Are there any new grub2-related kickstart settings for the bootloader
>> line in kickstart?
>
> VGA= is not a kickstart setting it's an kernel command line parameter and
> with grub2 you need to use "set gfxpayload=$your-desired-resolution"
> instead.
>
> You can find the available kickstart settings on the ( extremely well )
> documented kickstart page [1] from the Anaconda team...
>>
>> For example, I installed F16 through kickstart yesterday with
>> "vga=794", which adds it to the "linux ..." line. I get correct
>> resolution but I also get a boot message that using "vga=..." is
>> deprecated and that gfxpayload should be used.
>
> "vga=794" would be "set gfxmode=1280x1024x16,1280x1024" and you will need to
> add something like the below to the grub2 config file
>
> set gfxmode=$your-desired-resolution
> set gfxpayload=keep
> insmod gfxterm
> insmod vbe
>
> 1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart

Thanks.

"vga=" may not be "a kickstart setting" but it is a grub kernel line
argument that can be set through the kickstart "bootloader" command's
"--append=" option.

I know how to set the gfxmode (I've been using grub2 since the alpha
of Ubuntu 9.10 and the canonical way is to edit "/etc/default/grub"
and regenerate grub.cfg and not to edit "/boot/grub/grub.cfg" - or
"/boot/grub2/grub.cfg" on Fedora - as you seem to be suggesting), so
thanks for the grub.cfg edit but my question remains unanswered. Is
there a way - other than through "%post" - to end up, for example,
with a "set gfxmode=$desired-resolution" line in grub.cfg rather than
adding "vga=$desired-resolution" to the grub.cfg "linux" line?