F16 alpha rc4 hangs at grub boot - BZ# 730124

Jurgen Kramer gtmkramer at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 17 07:45:16 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-16 at 15:14 -0400, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> On 08/16/2011 01:16 PM, Jurgen Kramer wrote:
> > I've just tried F16 alpha rc4. Installation went without a hitch but
> > unfortunately the system still hangs when grub tries to boot. BZ#
> > 730124.
> >
> > Any pointer how to get past this would be appreciated.
> >
> > Jurgen
> >

> If you have another installation you can boot then create a grub entry
> in that grub.conf for the F16 distro, boot that and then, as root:
>
> grub2-install --force /dev/<your /boot partition device>
>
> If you don't have another bootable distro, boot the DVD and use rescue
> mode and the chroot option and then do the grub2-install

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried it with RC5 (which still hangs
at grub). I get:

grub2-install --force /dev/sda3
warn: Attempting to install GRUB to a partitionless disk or a partition.
This is a BAD idea..
warn: Embedding not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup
using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is
discouraged...
Installation finished. No error reported.

This leaves me with a nice penguin with hdd logo at the refit bootloader
(after restoring that). Selecting that gets me to the grub prompt..

Jurgen