Kickstart and grub2

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Aug 17 16:03:34 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 05:48:51AM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> VGA= is not a kickstart setting it's an kernel command line parameter
> and with grub2 you need to use "set gfxpayload=$your-desired-resolution"
> instead.
>
> You can find the available kickstart settings on the ( extremely well )
> documented kickstart page [1] from the Anaconda team...
>
> "vga=794" would be "set gfxmode=1280x1024x16||,1280x1024" and you will
> need to add something like the below to the grub2 config file
>
> set gfxmode=$your-desired-resolution
> set gfxpayload=keep
> insmod gfxterm
> insmod vbe
>
> JBG
>
> 1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart

Is this a correct reference?  I looked at this page and nothing was
found by a search for a string "gfx".  Just in case I checked also
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Grub2
and there was no mention of that string either.

Regardless, when looking how to configure grub2 I doubt very much
if "Anaconda/Kickstart" would be my first, or even second, choice of
a place to visit.

Is this also really the case that in kickstart you do:
"set gfxpayload=$your-desired-resolution" while in grub2
configuration "set gfxpayload=keep" or the above is a mixup?

   Michal