Release critiera proposal: reword the EFI criterion and, for F17, move it to Alpha

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Aug 17 19:48:26 UTC 2011

> So while I was discussing an EFI issue with Peter Jones we noticed that
> the current release criterion dealing with EFI installs could be
> improved. It's a Beta criterion, and it reads:
>
> "The installer must boot and run on systems using EFI other than Apple
> Macs"
>
> The wording 'boot and run' is a bit odd, what we really want is to be
> able to complete an installation, so propose:
>
> "In most cases (see Blocker_Bug_FAQ), the installer must boot, run, and
> be capable of installing a correct bootloader configuration on systems
> using EFI other than Apple Macs. The installed system must boot
> successfully via EFI"
>
> We'd also like to propose moving the criterion to Alpha for F17: EFI is
> becoming progressively more important over time and will continue to do
> so. Peter says over 50% of currently shipping server systems use EFI by
> default. We think F17 is the appropriate timeframe to make EFI an Alpha
> requirement.

Now I think about it, here's an alternative: let's just dump the
EFI-specific criterion and take EFI bugs under the generic criteria. I
don't see why we can't just say that the installer failing to boot on an
EFI system is a violation of "The installer must boot (if appropriate)
and run on all primary architectures from default live image, DVD, and
boot.iso install media", for instance. It *is*, after all. Ditto for "In
most cases (see Blocker_Bug_FAQ), a system installed according to any of
the above criteria (or the appropriate Beta or Final criteria, when
applying this criterion to those releases) must boot to the 'firstboot'
utility on the first boot after installation", and any of the "The
installer must be able to complete an installation" clauses...