f16 installer message

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 22:48:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 15:31:11 -0700
Adam Williamson wrote:

> If you're
> doing custom partitioning you should ideally have some sort of idea
> about partition tables (disk labels) and so forth.

But if you have been doing custom partitioning for years and
it has always worked fine the way you always do it, and fedora
16 comes along and won't boot when you haven't changed anything
about they way you have always partitioned disks, then you
will be confused and a popup consisting of a bunch of unknown
acronyms strung together won't help much. A better popup
might say something like:

   Hey! Fedora uses grub2 now, and like it or not, your
   machine is unlikely to boot unless you make one of a
   _____ (fill in the blanks) kind of little partition
   for the boot loader.

(If that is the sort of thing it ought to say - I still can't
tell for sure :-).