F16 Update Kernels fail to boot

Andy Lawrence dr.diesel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 22:49:32 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 5:43 PM, Andy Lawrence <dr.diesel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Jurgen Kramer <gtmkramer at xs4all.nl>wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2011-08-22 at 17:01 -0400, Andy Lawrence wrote:
>> > So far all update kernels on F16 (installed from F16rc5) have failed
>> > to boot.  The installation DVD kernel 3.0.0-1.fc16.x86_64 is the only
>> > one that boots.  I've attempted to boot with these with no luck:
>> >

>> > kernel-3.0.0-1.fc16.x86_64
>> > kernel-3.0.1-3.fc16.x86_64
>> >

>> > I removed quiet from the boot string and get no output for either
>> > kernel except this in yellow letters in the top left of the screen:
>> >

>> > Trying to allocate 1059 pages for VMLINUZ
>> > Got pages at 0x02826000
>> > [Linux-EFI, setup=0x10b9, size 0x422b90]
>> >

>> > I haven't filed a bug report yet, hate to file one that simply says
>> > its broke!  Anything else I can do to provide any output or help?
>> >

>> > This is a Sandybridge, UEFI, SDD box.
>> Seems the same problem as I filed bug BZ #730124 for. I needed to switch
>> to grub2 to get my system booting.
>>
>> Can you confirm you are still on grub1? Have to tried with kernel 3.1.0?
>>

> I actually thought I was on grub2, i thought that was the default install
> on F16!  Not to mention the "look" is much different on F16!  I currently
> have:
>
> grub-0.97-75.fc16.x86_64
> grub2-1.99-0.2.fc16.x86_64
>
> Installed by default, not sure how to tell if it is booting with grub1 or
> 2?  I do not have the normal files in /boot/grub/ that I'm used to, only one
> file named splash.xpm.gz, then a bunch of stuff in /boot/grub2/.
>
> Just updated to kernel-3.1.0-0.rc3.git0.0.fc16.x86_64, same problem.
>
> When your hangs are you getting this output as well?
>
> Trying to allocate 1059 pages for VMLINUZ
> Got pages at 0x02826000
> [Linux-EFI, setup=0x10b9, size 0x422b90]

According to this:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Grub2

grub2 is used by default with F16, so I'm gonna guess that's what I'm using!

I tried this: grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg, which does give
parameters in /boot/grub2/grub.cfg, which was empty before, but it doesn't
help with booting the update kernels.

My problem is a bit different than your bug, the F16rc5 install booted fine.
 Its only the update kernels that fail.

Thanks!