F16 Update Kernels fail to boot

Andy Lawrence dr.diesel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 20:59:32 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 8:06 PM, Genes MailLists <lists at sapience.com> wrote:

> On 08/23/2011 06:49 PM, Andy Lawrence wrote:
> >
> \
> >
> > According to this:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Grub2
> >
> > grub2 is used by default with F16, so I'm gonna guess that's what I'm
> using!
> >
> > I tried this: grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg, which does give
> > parameters in /boot/grub2/grub.cfg, which was empty before, but it
> > doesn't help with booting the update kernels.
> >

>  POssibly - I have vague recollections it was 32 bit only for now .. and
> yours looks like 64 bit ...
> --

Well I followed the grub2 install directions from above:

[root at garage andy]# grub2-install --boot-directory=/boot /dev/sda
/usr/sbin/grub2-setup: warn: This GPT partition label has no BIOS Boot
Partition; embedding won't be possible!.
/usr/sbin/grub2-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be
installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are
UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
/usr/sbin/grub2-setup: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
[root at garage andy]#

No love here either!  Still only the original kernel from the RC5 DVD boots.