F16 Update Kernels fail to boot

Andy Lawrence dr.diesel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 22:22:18 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Clyde E. Kunkel <clydekunkel7734 at cox.net>wrote:

> On 08/24/2011 04:59 PM, Andy Lawrence wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 8:06 PM, Genes MailLists<lists at sapience.com>
>  wrote:
> >
> >> On 08/23/2011 06:49 PM, Andy Lawrence wrote:
> >>>
> >> \

> >> using!

> >>   POssibly - I have vague recollections it was 32 bit only for now ..
> and
> >> yours looks like 64 bit ...
> >> --
> >>

> > Well I followed the grub2 install directions from above:
> >
> > [root at garage andy]# grub2-install --boot-directory=/boot /dev/sda
> > /usr/sbin/grub2-setup: warn: This GPT partition label has no BIOS Boot
> > Partition; embedding won't be possible!.
> > /usr/sbin/grub2-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be
> > installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are
> > UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
> > /usr/sbin/grub2-setup: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
> > [root at garage andy]#
> >

> > No love here either!  Still only the original kernel from the RC5 DVD
> boots.
> >

> Maybe include --force with grub2-install?  WFM.
>
> --
> Regards,
> OldFart

YES!  That ignored the error, however didn't boot.  But, I just happened to
boot to my bios for another reason and to my surprise I saw two possible
boot devices (even though I only have one drive)!  First was
the original named "Fedora" from the default DVD install.  Second (which
wasn't there before) was one named just the hard drive device name, picking
it booted to grub2 and allowed all kernels to boot!

I'm gonna guess this is still a bug of some sort, but I don't really know
what or how to report it.  Perhaps an EFI BIOS bug?

Thanks for the help