Adding Fedora15 to F16alpha grub2 menu {solved}

Petrus de Calguarium pgueckel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 18:21:37 UTC 2011

Petrus de Calguarium wrote:

> I have installed F16α and with it grub2 to the MBR of /dev/sda. I am
> experimenting happily with F16, but I am unable to add F15 to the
> grub2 boot menu.
>
> I have edited /etc/grub.d/40_custom and run grub2-mkconfig -o
> /boot/grub2/grub.cfg, but my F15 entry never shows up in the menu,
> even though it is in grub.cfg.

I figured out that no matter what you put into /etc/grub.d/40_custom,
it will never show up in the grub2 menu, even though it does show up
in /boot/grub2/grub.cfg. Yes, I have made sure to run restorecon on
40_custom after editing and that the permissions remain the same as
the other files.

The solution:

create a file called /boot/grub2/custom.cfg and put your custom menu
items in that. This file is automatically read by grub2, thanks to
/etc/grub.d/41_custom, which causes custom.cfg to be read.

This works!