persistent gnome dep problems (F16 alpha rc3-5, alpha), --skip-broken wants to haul in 32-bit libs

Kalev Lember kalevlember at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 07:28:37 UTC 2011

On 08/25/2011 08:12 PM, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> I've worked my way through this kind of mess a couple of times now, most
> recently yesterday.  Here's my experience:
>
>  - Do a big rawhide update - in this case, at least two weeks worth.

A bit off topic, but I would personally encourage everybody to play with
the F16 tree instead of rawhide at this point.

When in the past rawhide was always what you'd get as the next upcoming
Fedora release, this is now slightly different. In the past, updates to
rawhide would slow down significantly when nearing a new release and the
repo would be frozen for weeks at a time. Now, however, rawhide is a
continuously flowing repo and releases are instead made of release branches.

Fedora 16 (also called 'Branched') was branched off of rawhide a month
ago. Since that time, most of the developers have switched from working
on rawhide to working on the F16 branch. What this means is that:

- rawhide gets much less love than usual during the F16 pre-Alpha -
  Final stages. Quite a lot of people want to get the new release
  polished up as good as possible and just don't pay much attention
  to rawhide bugs.

- The Branched tree might actually get new goodies earlier than
  rawhide, because this is what people are mostly concentrating on.

- Bug reports and general testing of the new Branched release is very
  valuable, and much more important than rawhide at this point.

What I personally do is that I switch to Branched when it gets branched
off of rawhide and stay on there until the release is out. After that,
back to the rawhide train. Everybody wins -- I get better experience,
newer goodies and a warm fuzzy feeling that I'm helping out with the new
release; the distro gets my help of making the release better.

--
Kalev