F16 Alpha GRUB install failure

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 16:52:02 UTC 2011

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 11:47:15 -0400, TH (Tom) wrote:

> > # grub2-install --grub-setup=/bin/true '(hd0,3)'
> > Installation finished. No error reported.
>
> AFAIK, this won't be bootable, unless grub-install has run
> successfully before, because that all that the above commands are
> doing is populating "/boot/grub2/".

it's from a comment in bz 728742

With warnings telling me something "is not possible", I stopped reading
them again and missed the "Installation finished. No error reported."
at the end. It simply got lost in the noise. No line prefix for the
final status message.
When using --force it is too late to warn about something that is
"UNRELIABLE" and "discouraged".