setting up ssh

Peter G. pgueckel at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 18:40:41 UTC 2011

Michael Cronenworth wrote:

> netstat lists network port information. It does not know about or list
> firewall configuration information.
>
> iptables is the command-line tool to view, add, delete, or change
> firewall rules.
>
> # iptables -L    # lists default table rules
>
> # iptables -L | grep ssh
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
> tcp dpt:ssh

See! Google is unreliable for giving the right answers.

Thanks. I tried the command and it returned no output. That means the firewall
is not open on any port, I presume.

Why would that be? I unchecked and rechecked ssh as a trusted serive and then
applied the changes numerous times already. And it the firewall setup program
doesn't work, how am I supposed to open the port?