grub2 and kernel-PAE with Fedora 16α

Peter G. pgueckel at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 05:46:20 UTC 2011

I installed (rpm -ivh) kernel-PAE on a Fedora 16α system.
I changed /etc/sysconfig/kernel: DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel-PAE

The new kernel-PAE shows up in grub.cfg, but some things are not quite how they
should be:

- the menu entry for kernel-PAE is not of the same format as the other lines
- the echo line that says booting kernel not not show the PAE part
- no rescue mode menu entry for the kernel-PAE was created

Does grubby not understand grub2 mmenu format? Should I have installed the
kernel-PAE with yum instead of rpm to get it correctly incorporated into the
grub2 menu? Something else?