Re: grub2 and kernel-PAE with Fedora 16α

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 07:07:26 UTC 2011

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 1:46 AM, Peter G. <pgueckel at gmail.com> wrote:

> I installed (rpm -ivh) kernel-PAE on a Fedora 16α system.
> I changed /etc/sysconfig/kernel: DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel-PAE
>
> The new kernel-PAE shows up in grub.cfg, but some things are not quite how they
> should be:

> - the menu entry for kernel-PAE is not of the same format as the other lines

Because the original menu's built with "grub2-mkconfig ..." and later
kernels are added by grubby.

> - the echo line that says booting kernel not not show the PAE part

Because grubby duplicates the previous entry's "Loading ...", although
it also gets it right so the grubby developer's (if it's grubby's
fault) going to have some fun tracking this down. There already a BZ
that someone posted earlier.

> - no rescue mode menu entry for the kernel-PAE was created

Because grubby only creates one entry when a new kernel's installed;
"grub2-mkconfig ..." creates a "regular" entry and a "single" one
(unless you change that default behavior in "/etc/default/grub").