Oh no! Something has gone wrong.

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 20:05:03 UTC 2011

Never have seen this with F15. Only have read about it.

Now it's hitting me badly everytime I boot F16 Alpha. Sometimes the
second login attempt succeeds, sometimes it doesn't and needs
a third attempt.

gnome-shell-3.1.4-1.fc16.x86_64

Where do I search for meaningful error messages?
Attached .xession-errors is flooded.

[...]

Updating the machine hasn't been easy and hasn't fixed the problem
either. Evolution dep breakage required me to update wildcard-groups of
packages or else I couldn't get xorg\* and other updates. Applying
the xorg\* updates required a reboot as a simple logout/login resulted
in severe screen corruption.

[...]

During the boot process (this is ATI Radeon graphics hardware), I often
lose the display and get a black screen with my monitor losing signal.
This has never happened with F14 and older, and only rarely with F15.
A workaround is to disable rhgb.

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.1.0-0.rc3.git0.0.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 0.16 0.15 0.18