services and systemd in F16

Peter G. pgueckel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 04:48:54 UTC 2011

In the system-config-services, I see that sshd is not running when I boot the
computer.

The message at the top right says that:

"The sshd service is managed by systemd. It may be started then run in the
background, or be activated on demand..."

I am unclear about the "be activated on demand" part. Does this mean that, when
I run a program like sftp or sshfs, that:

1. systemd will automatically recognize that I need sshd.service to be started
and will therefore start it for me; or does it mean that

2. I have to manually start sshd.service before I run sftp, sshfs, etc.

???

Please clarify.