Oh no! Something has gone wrong.

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Mon Aug 29 13:39:13 UTC 2011

Dne 29.8.2011 15:32, Michael Schwendt napsal(a):
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 10:44:54 +0530, SD (Sudhir) wrote:
>
>>> Never have seen this with F15. Only have read about it.
>>>
>>> Now it's hitting me badly everytime I boot F16 Alpha. Sometimes the
>>> second login attempt succeeds, sometimes it doesn't and needs
>>> a third attempt.
>>>
>>> gnome-shell-3.1.4-1.fc16.x86_64
>>>
>>> Where do I search for meaningful error messages?
>>> Attached .xession-errors is flooded.
>> I had hit this issue during F15 upgrade and looking at the
>> .xsession-erros, looks like you will  have to "yum remove gnome-screensaver"
>
> Didn't fix it. What would be the rationale?
>
> Several other programs mention the same problems in .xsession-errors
> After "rpm -e gnome-screensaver" I've had five consecutive "Oh no" login
> attempts, and the 6th worked. Race condition with something crashing or
> failing to initialise?

Well I'm no where near being gnome expert - but this is the way I'm doing my
debugging of frequent gnome-shell issue/problems/bugs.

I change my  ~/.xinitrc to only exec:

exec gnome-terminal

(eventually as a last instance   exec xterm)
(and I'm also using startx instead of default login display manager)

Within this terminal I try to play with gnome - i.e. start gnome-shell and
check ongoing messages and started programs and related bugs.

Zdenek