services and systemd in F16

Nils Philippsen nils at redhat.com
Wed Aug 31 15:01:07 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 20:20 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-08-28 at 22:48 -0600, Peter G. wrote:
> > In the system-config-services, I see that sshd is not running when I boot the
> > computer.
>
> You can't rely on system-config-services any more, as it does not
> understand systemd native services.

Not so much, please do check things before making statements like this.
Current s-c-services can tell you whether a particular service is up or
down, regardless of whether it's managed by systemd (native, SysV) or
xinetd.

In this case it knows that a systemd service might be started in
different ways (e.g. daemon started at bootup, or on demand, or any of
the other alternatives which it lists in the GUI), but not of which kind
the particular service is.

What's missing is a way to enable/disable/monitor enablement of a
systemd/SysV service, partly because systemd doesn't expose this via its
dbus interface (which the privileged s-c-services mechanism uses). I'll
probably make it check this when a service is selected, but I'd really
like something (dbus signals?) which I could monitor for instantaneous
updates (Lennart, pretty please?). So much to do and so few round
tuits :-).

> For a basic check, just do 'ps aux | grep sshd', that'll tell you if
> there's actually an sshd process running.
>
> 'systemctl status sshd.service' will tell you about the service: it
> should say 'active (running)'. 'failed' or 'active (exited)' would be
> bad.
>
> systemctl has various other capabilities which can give you useful
> information on services, see 'man systemctl', or the systemd website, or
> lennart's blog, or lennart's posts to devel at ...
>
> > "The sshd service is managed by systemd. It may be started then run in the
> > background, or be activated on demand..."
> >
> > I am unclear about the "be activated on demand" part. Does this mean that, when
> > I run a program like sftp or sshfs, that:
> >
> > 1. systemd will automatically recognize that I need sshd.service to be started
> > and will therefore start it for me; or does it mean that
> >
> > 2. I have to manually start sshd.service before I run sftp, sshfs, etc.
>
> It means 1. But this is a generic message that's essentially just
> s-c-services saying 'this is a systemd service and I don't know anything
> about it'.

No, it knows perfectly well if a systemd service is active or not
(inasmuch as it is told via systemd's dbus interface, but I have no
reason to believe this is wrong). Yet, this may mean different things
for a daemon, a socket activated service or a oneshot service which only
sets things up, then exits. That's all this wording is about.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat               a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty