Some days it just doesn't pay to update

Jonathan Corbet corbet-ft at lwn.net
Wed Aug 31 22:57:55 UTC 2011

So, I thought...LWN writing is almost done for the day, why not do an
update and see what happens?

What happened:

 - My Logitech bluetooth keyboard, which has Just Worked for years,
   doesn't work anymore.  Grub still sees it fine, but the running system
   does not.  Sometimes unplugging and replugging the USB receiver makes
   it come back.  Usually not.

 - I've had one display freeze (unrecoverable) accompanied by "GPU lockup"
   messages in the log.

 - claws-mail is back to its old tricks: pop-under compose windows, focus
   weirdness, etc.

It's worth noting that the kernel didn't update in this batch, so none of
the above is caused by a kernel change.  I see the keyboard unpleasantness
with both the kernel-3.1.0-0.rc4.git0.0.fc17.x86_64 kernel and my own -rc4
kernel.

Here's to hoping that tomorrow's a better day...:)

jon