anaconda update fails due to stupid cpio error

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 15:00:41 UTC 2011

Rex Dieter wrote:

>> Neal Becker wrote:
>>
>>> OK, this is the 2nd time this happened to me on updating a machine from
>>> f15-f16.
>>>
>>> I used preupgrade.
>>>
>>> 08:55:51 Upgrading pyparsing-1.5.6-1.fc16.noarch
>>> error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/lib/python2.7/site-
>>> packages/pyparsing-1.5.6-p\
>>> y2.7.egg-info: cpio: rename failed - Resource temporarily unavailable
>>>
>>> And update just quits there.
>>>
>>> anaconda should be more tolerant of such errors.  Leaving the update
>>> partway done is not a good thing.
>>
>> Looks like a possible (packaging?) bug in pyparsing, upgrading from f15's
>> version.
>
> Just quick-n-dirty testing an upgrade transaction on my f16 box
>
> pyparsing-1.5.6-1.fc15 -> pyparsing-1.5.6-1.fc16
> and it went smoothly, so hard to say what went wrong I guess.
>
> -- rex

Most likely I had installed pyparsing NOT using rpm, but from pypi.  Then I'm
guessing that on upgrade something pulled in pyparsing.  Packaged in an
incompatible form, causing cpio to choke.

I'm suggesting that anaconda should not quit in the middle of an update due to
one rpm package failing to update.

IIRC, this I had another machine that failed update in exactly the same way
(pyparsing).  (Fortunately, this time I could still boot, rm pyparsing, and
resume, but last time was a disaster).