rawhide report: 20110204 changes

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 22:31:25 UTC 2011

On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 14:44:57 -0500, Brian wrote:

> Correct, applets aren't supported in GNOME 3, and these applet's
> should probably be retired in their rawhide branches. I just did this
> yesterday for the contact-lookup-applet.

Great. I've retired gnome-applet-netspeed, too.

GNOME Shell "fallback mode" doesn't sound like a way forward. ;) I've
perused a couple of messages discussing the fallback mode, but haven't
found out how much of the old panel'n'applets it would support.
An ordinary rebuild attempt for libpanelapplet-4.0 gives lots of errors
(some of which probably even are due to other changes in Rawhide gtk2/gtk3
and friends - I haven't examined any of them due to lack of a testing env,
so I can't tell how much work the porting would be even if there is just
one source file plus a backend).