2011-02-07 @ 16:00UTC - Fedora QA meeting - call for topics

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 10:53:19 UTC 2011

On 02/07/2011 10:29 AM, Kamil Paral wrote:
> Well, for desktop validation it is clear that fallback mode creates
> quite different environment from gnome-shell. For installation testing
> it is true that mostly we test anaconda, but a lot of our test cases
> contains a requirement "System boots successfully". Can we assume that
> booting into fallback mode successfully in KVM satisfies that
> requirement? That's one of the questions for the proposed topic.

For any Gnome related test days you cant use KVM since one of the
information we need to gather from test days for developers is that if
users are getting either a shell or fallback mode or not and those
reporters that aren't getting shell or fallback mode will need to file a
bug providing their smolt profile so developers can look deeper into
what hw is failing to reach shell or fallback mode.

To put it short for desktop validation testing for the Gnome Desktop
Enviroment booting into fallback mode successfully in KVM does not
satisfies that requirement ( but it still needs to work and tested
accordingly ) but for desktop validation testing regarding any other of
the DE booting it does

However I think that "System boots successfully" only means that you can
successfully reach what ever *DM ( GDM KDM LXDM etc ) or booting to
specific runlevel works as in 1 3 5 etc.

Do you have a link to the specific test case(s) you are referring to I'm
curious to see how they have been written.

JBG