Proventester request - xulrunner, firefox, gjs bugfix update

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Fri Feb 11 20:36:45 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 20:17 +0000, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 15:05 -0500, James Laska wrote:
> > Greetings testers,
> >
> > Just passing along a test request from Chris Aillon regarding a brand
> > new xulrunner+firefox F15 updates-testing request.
> >
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/xulrunner-2.0-0.21.b11.fc15,firefox-4.0-0.16.b11.fc15,gjs-0.7.10-4.fc15
> >
> > The F15 Branched repodata is still being created and synced to mirrors.
> > Once completed, you can download and test the proposed packages from a
> > F15 system by typing:
> >
> >         # yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update firefox xulrunner
> >
> > Note, if you installed TC1, or rawhide, you'll need to have the Fedora
> > 15 fedora-release package installed
> > (http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=227969).
> >
> > If the requested update is not available on a mirror near you, the
> > latest packages can be downloaded and installed directly from koji using
> > the following commands:
> >
> >         # for UPDATE in firefox xulrunner ; do koji download-build
> >         --arch $(uname -i) --arch noarch --latestfrom
> >         dist-f15-updates-candidate $UPDATE ; done
> >         # yum update *.rpm
> >
> > The main focus for this update is to address updated %requires, similar
> > to those noted in the gjs changelog [1].  Several basic test case
> > suggestions are available on the wiki at
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Package_firefox_test_cases.
> >

> Hum
>
> Is not an unnecessary burden turning on proventester requirement while
> in "Development mode" let alone while we are still in alpha...

Double negative?  So I may not be understanding the meaning of your
statement...

Behold, the branch point is upon us!  Once branched, it's no longer a
free for all.  Time to stabilize the release according to the
established release criteria [1].  This is especially important while
attempting to build an Alpha.

> Is it not better to turn proventesters requirments on when we start
> composing RC and allow maintainers to push straight to updates until
> then ( or some middle path here ) chooses they do to so?

No, for previously established policy, pushing directly into the
branched repo, bypassing karma requirements, is not permitted.  Allowing
any/all changes after branching and up to the RC competes with the
definition of "Release Candidate".

Thanks,
James

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Release_Criteria