Yum distro-sync makes more problems than solves

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Feb 11 21:49:34 UTC 2011

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 22:45:56 +0100 (CET)
Adam Pribyl <pribyl at lowlevel.cz> wrote:

> I can not help myself but the procedure described at
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq with distro-sync is not
> flawless. While the "old way" with upgrading first the
> fedora-release* packages and then invoking "yum update" was most of
> the times straight forward and I used it many times, I did cca 5
> updates with distro-sync and none of them was flawless or straight
> forward.
>
> Last example:
> F12 -> F13
> there was 126MB of not updated packages in 82 packages.
> Let's go per instructions
> 1. yum clean all - no problems
> 2. rpm --import https://fedoraproject.org/static/97A1071F.txt
>   - no problems

Thats the Fedora 14 key. ;)

> 3. yum update yum - fetches all repo data again, upgrades yum to
> latest fc12.
> 4. yum --releasever=13 distro-sync --skip-broken - updates 81
> packages from F12 that left for update and finishes.

I think we should change that probibly to avoid --skip-broken there.
Instead you should not use --skip-broken and should look at removing
packages that can't be updated. (ie, orphans in the new release).

> 5. yum repolist - shows all repos are still set to fc12.
> 6. now improvisation starts:
>   yum --releasever=13 distro-sync --skip-broken - yum can not end
> dependency resolution, it was still cycling thru dependencies
> suggesting many packages to erase or downgrade, it does not react to
> ^C, nor kill -15, have to use kill -9 to end it.
> 7. yum clean all - no problems
> 8. yum --releasever=13 distro-sync --skip-broken - finaly does
> resolves 373MB in 752 packages to update for fc13. However it ends up
> with message "The GPG keys listed for "Fedora 13 - i386 - Updates"
> repository already installed, but they are not correct for this
> package. Check that the correct URLs are configure for this
> repository." What the heck is this about?

You need to import the Fedora 13 key above, instead of the 14 one.
The fedora-release you have installed doesn't match the new keys, so
you need to import those first.

> Last time, somebody was interested in checking what's wrong. Here I
> am. System is not updated and I am waiting and willing to help with
> YumUpgradeFaq page update to make the steps really working.

kevin