Yum distro-sync makes more problems than solves

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Feb 11 23:26:07 UTC 2011

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 23:33:38 +0100 (CET)
Adam Pribyl <pribyl at lowlevel.cz> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 22:45:56 +0100 (CET)
> > Adam Pribyl <pribyl at lowlevel.cz> wrote:

...snip...

> > Thats the Fedora 14 key. ;)
>
> Right, then this step probably should remain only in F13->F14 not in
> common steps.

yeah, Should be changed.

> I absolutely agree here, as one of such updates ended up for me with
> half packages updated, while the rest un-updated, resulting in
> malfunctioning system due to one unsolvable dependency problem, which
> I finaly solved by removig some problematic package. The dependency
> problems should be solved by hand before "mass update" as
> --skip-broken is not a solution.

yeah, you get things like rhpl no longer existing, so skip-broken
doesn't update python for you, which means you get a lot of packages
skipped. :(

> > You need to import the Fedora 13 key above, instead of the 14 one.
> > The fedora-release you have installed doesn't match the new keys, so
> > you need to import those first.
>
> I did not installed any fedora-release yet. The message says that the
> key is installed, but URL in repo conf files is wrong - that's how I
> understand it.

The problem is this: You are telling yum that you are on release '13'.
You have fedora-release-12 installed. It looks for:

file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$basearch

Thats the f12 key, but it's expecting the f13 one.

> Acctualy thanks for your answers, but I am not seeking for help, as I
> am able to well help myself, but I'd like to clarify the YumUpgrade
> page steps to be able to improve the page, so the yum upgrades really
> work, as they do not for me most of the times.

Absolutely. Please do improve the page. ;)

> IMHO there are three problems:
> 1. keys needs to be imported per distro version
> 2. "yum clean all" can not be followed by "yum update yum" but should
> be switched, otherwise yum distro-sync is using incorrect metadata
> 3. should remove --skip-broken and ask users to solve broken deps
> before distro-sync as skipping brokens is not a solution

Yep. I agree with all those things.

kevin